Walled Hill Town of
Barberino Valdelsa lies in the heart of Tuscany between Florence
and Siena on the watershed of the Elsa and Pesa
river valleys, in an area that simply pulsates with history and
The town, formerly only a castle, was founded by the Florentines in a strategic position to resist the expansion of the nearby Semifonte castle and was a vicariate since 1313.
The village has still today a typical medieval structure, surrounded by 13th century curtain walls linked together by wall towers and endowed with two gates, the 'Porta Fiorentina' at north and the intact and splendid 'Porta Senese' to south.
Inside: tower-houses, narrow alleys, the main street that connect the two gates, the Palazzo Pretorio [Praetorian Palace], the Pilgrim's Hospital built by Taddeo di Cecco da Barberino in 1365, the parish church of S. Bartolommeo...
From Barberino, following the road to Certaldo, is possible to reach the site where Semifonte rose, near the locality of Petrognano. This castle was destroyed by the Florentines in the 1202.
Continuing on in the direction of Certaldo can be found the romanesque parish church of S. Appiano dating back to 10th century, one of the oldest to be found in the Florentine countryside.
|Back to Homepage|
|Back to Castles Index|