Legri Castle is reachable from Calenzano (A1 exit with the same name) following the clear signals.
The Castle of Legri overlooks the Marinella valley, from an altitude of 250 meters, and keep a close watch on the ancient road which join the Marina valley to the Mugello area. The first historical reference dates back to an imperial bull of 1191, which confirmed feudal rights of the Guidi family on the zone, including the Castrum Ligari. In the year 1220 Frederick II confirmed these rights to the Guidi.
During the 13th century the castle lost much of its strategic
due to the opening of a more convenient passage to Mugello through
the Marina valley. This decadence is indirectly confirmed by documents
relating to the Guelph-Ghibelline conflict during the 1260:
the castle was not damaged, as the nearby Castle of Calenzano,
but the residents were responsible for supplying bread to the Guelphs
army. The inhabitants
of Legri worked the adjacent lands, and contributed to the continuing
vitality of the church of St. Peter, located within the walls.
At the beginning of the 19th century the castle was restored and adapted to serve as the center of his farm. At the beginning of the 20th century. A photo of the 1930's shows the castle with its tall white tower and lower surrounding buildings, but without the decorative battlements which now adorn it. These are part of a great romantic restoration which somewhat modified the castle's appearance. The perimeter walls were enlarged [original gate is now inside the enclosure] and the northern part of the property was transformed into a romantic garden with statues, fountains and flowers. Today the proprietors reside at the Castle.