Rocca and Town Walls of Monticchiello
Left: The Keep, only rest of the Senese fortress,
at the highest vertex of the hill.
Right: The main town gate.
Monticchiello rises in the council of Pienza, in province of Siena.
It can be reached following the motorway A1 up to the exit of Valdichiana
and following the indications
for Pienza or in alternative from the Orcia valley, first following the
road SS2 Cassia 'til the cross with the SS146 for S.Quirico D'Orcia.
Photo Gallery »»»
castle, or better walled town, of Monticchiello, fief of the local family
of the Lambardi, was
thickly strengthened from the Senesis at the end of the 12th century,
important borderline fortress. Monticchiello was the main center of the
defensive organization on the oriental border of Siena and so
during its history was often object of wars and assaults, destruction
and occupations. In the years 1229-35 the town was destroyed by the Orvietani,then
at the to end of the 1300 it was occupied first by the Florentine
the Montepulcianesi and suffered others serious devastation in 1553,
founding itself on the road of the Imperial army during
the 'War of Siena'.
The whole system of the fortifications is chained to
the Rocca, set in the highest point of the hill where the hamlet rises.
Only the mighty keep, built in 1260, with its bastioned walls endowed
with machicoulis in stone (opening between corbels of the parapet through
which the defenders
can drop rocks or fire projectiles against an enemy directly below them)
remains. The Rocca is private property.
The town walls are instead for great part preserved, reinforced
by towers of various dimensions and shapes. Seven are the towers that
we can admire today, two rounded flanking the S.Agata Gate
(the only main entrance, several postern can be seen on the walled circuit)
and other five square towers
located in various
points on the walls.
inside the fortifications has maintained intact its medieval characteristics
walking for its
is like 'breathing' Tuscan medieval life.