The second tower.
This zone of the Pistoiese Mountain, the high valley
of the Lima river, belonged to the counts Guidi of Modigliana who possessed
the castles of Popiglio and Piteglio, as it emerges from the imperial
diplomas of Arrigo VI� of the year 1191 and Frederick II�; of the years
1220 and 1247. Later the area was subjected to the power of the nearby
town of Pistoia and the two castles had the same 'Podest�'.
side of the valley is dominated by Popiglio. The 'castrum de Popilio'
is noted since the high Middle Age, even if the only certain notice is
those relative to its ownership by the counts Guidi. As said the castle
was dominated from the Pistoiesi and then became part of the territories
of the Florentine Republic.
In the village of Popiglio there are no more traces of
the ancient fortifications and of the town-walls that enclosed it, while
on the vertex of the mountain overlooking it there still rise two powerful
The main tower with the scarce
rests of the encircling walls.
The landscape from the towers
The 'Torri di Popiglio' (Popiglio Watchtowers) both have
square shapes and rise to different levels at short distance one from
the other: the most elevated to the vertex, the other about twenty meters
The first tower, partially collapsed, rises today for approximately
half of its original height and very scarce remains of the elliptically
shaped walls that encircled it can still be found. Probably inside of
this curtain rose other buildings, as we can imagine from the remains
of a collapsed construction on the north east side, and this was surely
the seat of the commander of the entire defensive system.
The other tower did not have additional fortifications
and probably acted as an intermediate connection between the country and
the main point of the defensive system, with its remanants today higher
than those of its 'twin'. From this position we can admire an unique landscape
on the Apennine Mountain and dominate the entire underlying valley.